A4-year-old 16.2-kg (35.6-lb) neutered male working Cocker Spaniel with a 1-week history of left thoracic limb monoparesis was evaluated. The dog was reported to be historically blind in the left eye. Two weeks prior to presentation, the dog developed acute vomiting, anorexia, and pyrexia (40°C [104°F]). The dog was treated by the referring veterinarian for suspected pancreatitis with tramadol, metronidazole, sucralfate, and ranitidine. Investigations prior to the referral evaluation also revealed regenerative, hypochromic, microcytic anemia. After the dog was fed a hypoallergenic diet, a sample of its feces was positive for occult blood. At the referral evaluation, the dog was bright, alert, and responsive. Its mucous membranes were pink and moist with a capillary refill time < 2 seconds. Results of cardiac and respiratory auscultation were unremarkable. Abdominal palpation identified a small firm mass cranial to the bladder (approx 2 cm in diameter). Rectal examination findings were unremarkable, and rectal temperature was within reference range. A neurologic examination was performed.
What is the problem? Where is the lesion? What are the most probable causes of this problem? What is your plan to establish a diagnosis? Please turn the page.
Logiq S7, GE Healthcare, Chicago, Ill.
2. Grisariu S, Avni B, Batchelor TT. Neurolymphomatosis: an International Primary CNS Lymphoma Collaborative Group report. Blood 2010;115:5005–5011.
3. Chamberlain MC, Fink J. Neurolymphomatosis: a rare metastatic complication of diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. J Neurooncol 2009;95:285–288.
4. Schaffer PA, Charles JB, Tzipory L, et al. Neurolymphomatosis in a dog with B-cell lymphoma. Vet Pathol 2012;49:771–774.
8. Ueno H, Miyoshi K, Fukui S, et al. Extranodal lymphoma with peripheral nervous system involvement in a dog. J Vet Med Sci 2014;76:723–727.
9. Gan HK, Azad A, Cher L, et al. Neurolymphomatosis: diagnosis, management, and outcomes in patients treated with rituximab. Neuro Oncol 2010;12:212–215.
11. Khandelwal S, Saxena S, Hansalia DJ. Neurolymphomatosis: a surreal presentation of lymphoma. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol 2017;38:287–290.
12. Beasley MJ, Hiebert EC, Daw DN, et al. Neurolymphomatosis caused by T-cell lymphosarcoma in a cat: imaging description and treatment review. JFMS Open Rep 2019;5: 2055116919833534.
13. Gozzard P, Maddison P. Which antibody and which cancer in which paraneoplastic syndromes? Pract Neurol 2010;10:260–270.
14. Briani C, Vitaliani R, Grisold W, et al. Spectrum of paraneoplastic disease associated with lymphoma. Neurology 2011;76:705–710.
15. De Sanctis P, Leite Fogaça J, de Campos Vettorato M, et al. Paraneoplastic syndromes—a challenge in veterinary medicine. Acta Sci Cancer Biol 2019;3:40–52.