Presented as a Mystery Slide Case at the American College of Veterinary Pathologists and American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathologists Concurrent Annual Meeting, New Orleans, December 2016.
The authors thank Dr. Tim Kloer, Colorado State University, for assistance with CT images and radiographic interpretations.
MiraVista Diagnostics, Indianapolis, Ind.
MiraVista Histoplasma antigen assay, MiraVista Diagnostics, Indianapolis, Ind.
Fungus Testing Laboratory, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, San Antonio, Tex.
MiraVista Blastomyces antigen assay, MiraVista Diagnostics, Indianapolis, Ind.
1. MiraVista Veterinary Diagnostics. Histoplasma antigen assay and Blastomyces antigen assay sensitivity, specificity, and cross-reactivity. Indianapolis: MiraVista Veterinary Diagnostics, 2018.
2. Schwartz IS, Wiederhold NP, Hanson KE, et al. Blastomyces helicus, a new dimorphic fungus causing fatal pulmonary and systemic disease in humans and animals in Western Canada and the United States. Clin Infect Dis 2019;68:188–195.
3. Schwartz IS, Kenyon C, Feng P, et al. 50 Years of Emmonsia disease in humans: the dramatic emergence of a cluster of novel fungal pathogens. PLoS Pathog 2015;11:e1005198.
4. Sigler L. Adiaspiromycosis and other infections caused by Emmonsia species. In: Hay RJ, Merz WG, eds. Topley and Wilson's microbiology and microbial infections. 10th ed. London: Arnold Hodder, 2005;809–824.
5. Borman AM, Simpson VR, Palmer MD, et al. Adiaspiromycosis due to Emmonsia crescens is widespread in native British mammals. Mycopathologia 2009;168:153–163.
9. Matsuda K, Niki H, Yukawa A, et al. First detection of adiaspiromycosis in the lungs of a deer. J Vet Med Sci 2015;77:981–983.
10. Pusterla N, Pesavento PA, Leutenegger CM, et al. Disseminated pulmonary adiaspiromycosis caused by Emmonsia crescens in a horse. Equine Vet J 2002;34:749–752.
11. Anstead GM, Sutton DA, Graybill JR. Adiaspiromycosis causing respiratory failure and a review of human infections due to Emmonsia and Chrysosporium spp. J Clin Microbiol 2012;50:1346–1354.
12. Emmons CW, Jellison WL. Emmonsia crescens Sp. N. and adiaspiromycosis (haplomycosis) in mammals. Ann N Y Acad Sci 1960;89:91–101.