The author thanks Dr. John D. Anastasio for his intellectual assistance with the present report and Mr. Glenn Lesher for his invaluable technical assistance.
SNAP 4DX Plus, Idexx Laboratories Inc, Westbrook, Me.
SurgiVet Advisor, Smiths Medical, Saint Paul, Minn.
Thermocouple, Smiths Medical, Saint Paul, Minn.
Soothe lubricant eye drops, Bausch and Lomb Inc, Bridge-water, NJ.
PlumSet, ICU Medical Inc, San Clemente, Calif.
Plum infusion pump, Hospira Inc, Lake Forest, Ill.
Adroit Medical Systems, Loudon, Tenn.
Bair Hugger, Arizant Healthcare Inc, Eden Prairie, Minn.
1. Collins BK, Gross ME, Moore CP, et al. Physiologic, pharmacologic, and practical considerations for anesthesia of domestic animals with eye disease. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1995; 207:220–230.
2. Vézina-Audette R, Steagall PVM & Gianotti G. Prevalence of and covariates associated with the oculocardiac reflex occurring in dogs during enucleation. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2019; 255:454–458.
3. Knapp DW, Aronsohn MG, Harpster NK. Cardiac arrhythmias associated with mass lesions of the canine spleen. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1995;29:122–128.
4. Keyes ML, Rush JE, Autran de Morais HS, et al. Ventricular arrhythmias in dogs with splenic masses. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 1993;3:33–38.
5. Marino DJ, Mathiessen DT, Fox PR, et al. Ventricular arrhythmias in dogs undergoing splenectomy: a prospective study. Vet Surg 1994;23:101–106.
6. Wendelburg KM, O'Toole TE, McCobb E, et al. Risk factors for perioperative death in dogs undergoing splenectomy for splenic masses: 539 cases (2001–2012). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2014;245:1382–1390.
7. Pastarapatee N, Kijtawornrat A & Buranakarl C. Imbalance of autonomic nervous systems involved in ventricular arrhythmia after splenectomy in dogs. J Vet Med Sci 2017;79:2002–2010.
8. Cattai A, Rabozzi R, Ferasin H, et al. Haemodynamic changes during propofol induction in dogs: new findings and approach of monitoring. BMC Vet Res 2018;14:282.
9. Meyer EC, Sommers DK. Possible mechanisms of anti-cholinergic drug-induced bradycardia. Eur J Clin Pharmacol 1988; 35:503–506.