The authors thank Dr. Sunil N. More for assistance with histopathologic assessments and Dr. Carlos H. M. Souza for surgical and clinical case management.
1. International Renal Interest Society. IRIS Staging of CKD (Modified 2017). Available at: www.iris-kidney.com/pdf/IRIS_2017_Staging_of_CKD_09May18.pdf. Accessed Feb 27, 2019.
2. Quigley PJ, Leedale AH. Tumors involving the bone in the domestic cat: a review of fifty-eight cases. Vet Pathol 1983;20:670–686.
3. Heldmann E, Anderson MA, Wagner-Mann C. Feline osteosarcoma: 145 cases (1990–1995). J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2000;36:518–521.
5. Sarowitz BN, Davis GJ, Kim S. Outcome and prognostic factors following curative-intent surgery for oral tumours in dogs: 234 cases (2004 to 2014). J Small Anim Pract 2017;58:146–153.
6. Gendler A, Lewis JR, Reetz JA, et al. Computed tomographic features of oral squamous cell carcinoma in cats: 18 cases (2002–2008). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2010;236:319–325.
7. Soltero-Rivera MM, Krick EL, Reiter AM, et al. Prevalence of regional and distant metastasis in cats with advanced oral squamous cell carcinoma: 49 cases (2005–2011). J Feline Med Surg 2014;16:164–169.
8. Bilgic O, Duda L, Sánchez MD, et al. Feline oral squamous cell carcinoma: clinical manifestations and literature review. J Vet Dent 2015;32:30–40.
9. Bertone ER, Snyder LA, Moore AS. Environmental and lifestyle risk factors for oral squamous cell carcinoma in domestic cats. J Vet Intern Med 2003;17:557–562.
10. Martin CK, Tannehill-Gregg SH, Wolfe TD, et al. Bone-invasive oral squamous cell carcinoma in cats: pathology and expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein. Vet Pathol 2011;48:302–312.
11. Jimi E, Shin M, Furuta H, et al. The RANKL/RANK system as a therapeutic target for bone invasion by oral squamous cell carcinoma (review). Int J Oncol 2013;42:803–809.
12. Liptak JM, Withrow SJ. Cancer of the gastrointestinal tract. In: Withrow SJ, Vail DM, Page RL, eds. Withrow & MacEwen's small animal clinical oncology. 5th ed. St Louis: Elsevier Inc, 2013;381–431.
13. Quigley PJ, Leedale AH, Dawson IM. Carcinoma of mandible of cat and dog simulating osteosarcoma. J Comp Pathol 1972;82:15–18.
14. Barger AM, Fan TM, de Lorimier LP, et al. Expression of receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa-B ligand (RANKL) in neoplasms of dogs and cats. J Vet Intern Med 2007;21:133–140.
15. Takayama Y, Mori T, Nomura T, et al. Parathyroid-related protein plays a critical role in bone invasion by oral squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Oncol 2010;36:1387–1394.
16. Martin CK, Dirksen WP, Shu ST, et al. Characterization of bone resorption in novel in vitro and in vivo models of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol 2012;48:491–499.
17. Savary KC, Price GS, Vaden SL. Hypercalcemia in cats: a retrospective study of 71 cases (1991–1997). J Vet Intern Med 2000;14:184–189.
18. Hayes AM, Adams VJ, Scase TJ, et al. Survival of 54 cats with oral squamous cell carcinoma in United Kingdom general practice. J Small Anim Pract 2007;48:394–399.
19. Hutson CA, Willauer CC, Walder EJ, et al. Treatment of mandibular squamous cell carcinoma in cats by use of mandibulectomy and radiotherapy: seven cases (1987–1989). J Am Vet Med Assoc 1992;201:777–781.