An 8.7-year-old 34-kg (74.8-lb) sexually intact male Labrador Retriever was referred for evaluation because of a 3-month history of signs of progressive, severe neck pain. The dog was treated with an injection of meloxicam and, after a 3-day interval of no treatment, by administration of prednisolone and omeprazole and exercise restriction for 4 weeks. One week prior to the referral evaluation, tramadol administration was also added to the treatment plan to address the exacerbated signs of pain. On evaluation, results of a general physical examination were unremarkable apart from tensing of the abdominal wall during palpation.
What is the problem? Where is the lesion? What are the most probable causes of this problem? What is your plan to establish a diagnosis? Please turn the page.
Philips Intera 1.5-T Pulsar System, Philips Medical Systems, Guildford, England.
Omniscan 0.5 mmol/ml, GE Healthcare, Chalfont St Giles, England.
3. Levitski RE, Chauvet AE, Lipsitz D. Cervical myelopathy associated with extradural synovial cysts in 4 dogs. J Vet Intern Med 1999;13:181–186.
4. da Costa RC, Cook LB. Cystic abnormalities of the spinal cord and vertebral column. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2016;46:277–293.
5. Craig LE, Julian ME, Ferracone JD. The diagnosis and prognosis of synovial tumours in dogs: 35 cases. Vet Pathol 2002;39:66–73.
7. Petscavage-Thomas JM, Walker EA, Logie CA, et al. Soft-tissue myxomatous lesions: review of salient imaging features with pathologic comparison. Radiographics 2014;34:964–980.
8. Blair WH, Levine JM, Kerwin SC, et al. Imaging diagnosis—synovial myxoma of lumbar vertebrae articular process joint. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2011;52:309–312.
9. Hayes AM, Dennis R, Smith KC, et al. Synovial myxoma: magnetic resonance imaging in the assessment of an unusual canine soft tissue tumor. J Small Anim Pract 1999;40:489–494.
10. Neary CP, Bush WW, Teeches DM, et al. Synovial myxoma in the vertebral column of a dog: MRI description and surgical removal. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2014;50:198–202.
11. Baheti AD, Harsha Tirumani S, Rosenthal MH, et al. Myxoid soft-tissue neoplasms: comprehensive update of the taxonomy and MRI features. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2015;204:374–385.