Funded by the Veterinary Campus at Lyon, VetAgro Sup, University of Lyon, and Faculty of Agronomy and Veterinary Medicine, Lebanese University. Dr. Mansour has received travel grants from the Faculty of Agronomy and Veterinary Medicine, Lebanese University, for presentations related to microcirculation in horses. Funding sources did not have any involvement in the data analysis and interpretation or writing and publication of the manuscript. The authors declare that there were no other conflicts of interest.
De Backer score
Mean arterial blood pressure
Microvascular flow index
Proportion of perfused vessels
Proportion of perfused small vessels
Perfused vascular density
Perfused vascular density of small vessels
Sidestream dark field
Londoño LA, Bowen CM, Buckley GJ. Evaluation of the endothelial glycocalyx in healthy anesthetized dogs using rapid, patient-side GlycoCheck analysis software (abstr), in Proceedings. Int Vet Emerg Crit Care Symp 2018;S7:28.
Millar KK, Londoño LA, Monday JS. Evaluation of the endothelial glycocalyx in healthy anesthetized cats using rapid, patient-side Glycocheck analysis software (abstr), in Proceedings. Int Vet Emerg Crit Care Symp 2019;29:S11.
Hallowell GD, Lethbridge K, Croxford A, et al. Assessment and reliability of measuring microvascular perfusion in normal adult conscious horses (abstr). J Vet Intern Med 2013;27:648–649.
Rompun, Bayer GmbH, Leverkusen, Germany.
Morphine chlorhydrate Aguettant, Aguettant, France.
Diazepam TVM 5 mg/mL, TVM France, Lempdes, France.
Imalgene 1000, Boehringer-Ingelheim Animal Health France, Lyon, France.
Sevoflo, Zoetis, Lyon, France.
Lurocaïne, Vetoquinol SA, Lure Cedex, France.
Calmivet solution for injection, Vetoquinol, Paris, France.
Tafonius, Vetronic Services Ltd, Abbotskerswell, England.
Introcan Safety, B Braun Medical, Saint-Cloud, France.
TruWave, Edwards Lifesciences SAS, Guyancourt, France.
Microscan, Microvision Medical, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
Dobutamine Aguettant, Aguettant, Lyon, France.
AVA, version 4.3, Microvision Medical, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
MedCalc software, version 18.104.22.168, Mariakerke, Belgium.
2. De Backer D, Orbegozo Cortes D, Donadello K, et al. Pathophysiology of microcirculatory dysfunction and the pathogenesis of septic shock. Virulence 2014;5:73–79.
3. Bezemer R, Bartels SA, Bakker J, et al. Clinical review: clinical imaging of the sublingual microcirculation in the critically ill—where do we stand? Crit Care 2012;16:224.
4. Tafner PFDA, Chen FK, Filho RR, et al. Recent advances in bedside microcirculation assessment in critically ill patients. Rev Bras Ter Intensiva 2017;29:238–247.
5. Hurcombe SD, Welch BR, Williams JM, et al. Dark-field microscopy in the assessment of large colon microperfusion and mucosal injury in naturally occurring surgical disease of the equine large colon. Equine Vet J 2014;46:674–680.
6. Hopster K, Neudeck S, Wittenberg-Voges L, et al. The relationship between intestinal and oral mucosa microcirculation in anaesthetized horses. Vet Anaesth Analg 2018;45:78–81.
7. De Backer D, Creteur J, Preiser JC, et al. Microvascular blood flow is altered in patients with sepsis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;166:98–104.
8. Edul VSK, Ince C, Navarro N, et al. Dissociation between sublingual and gut microcirculation in the response to a fluid challenge in postoperative patients with abdominal sepsis. Ann Intensive Care 2014;4:39.
9. De Backer D, Hollenberg S, Boerma C, et al. How to evaluate the microcirculation: report of a round table conference. Crit Care 2007;11:R101.
11. Goedhart J, Vermeer JEM, Adjobo-Hermans MJW, et al. Sensitive detection of p65 homodimers using red-shifted and fluorescent protein-based FRET couples. PLoS One 2007;2:e1011.
12. De Backer D, Ospina-Tascon G, Salgado D, et al. Monitoring the microcirculation in the critically ill patient: current methods and future approaches. Intensive Care Med 2010;36:1813–1825.
13. Gommeren K, Allerton FJ, Morin E, et al. Evaluation of a rapid bedside scoring system for microcirculation videos acquired from dogs: rapid approach for evaluation of microcirculation in dogs. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2014;24:554–561.
14. Mullen KM, Regier PJ, Londoño LA, et al. Evaluation of jejunal microvasculature of healthy anesthetized dogs with sidestream dark field video microscopy. Am J Vet Res 2020;81:888–893.
15. Verdant CL, De Backer D, Bruhn A, et al. Evaluation of sublingual and gut mucosal microcirculation in sepsis: a quantitative analysis. Crit Care Med 2009;37:2875–2881.
16. Kieffer PJ, Williams JM, Shepard MK, et al. Comparison of the oral and rectal mucosal and colonic serosal microcirculations of healthy, anesthetized horses. Can J Vet Res 2018;82:55–59.
17. De Backer D, Ortiz JA, Salgado D. Coupling microcirculation to systemic hemodynamics. Curr Opin Crit Care 2010;16:250–254.
18. Magnin M, Foulon É, Lurier T, et al. Evaluation of microcirculation by sidestream dark field imaging: impact of hemodynamic status on the occurrence of pressure artifacts—a pilot study. Microvasc Res 2020;131:104025.
19. Trzeciak S, McCoy JV, Phillip Dellinger R, et al. Early increases in microcirculatory perfusion during protocol-directed resuscitation are associated with reduced multi-organ failure at 24 h in patients with sepsis. Intensive Care Med 2008;34:2210–2217.
- Search Google Scholar
- Export Citation
, Trzeciak S , McCoy JV , Phillip Dellinger R Early increases in microcirculatory perfusion during protocol-directed resuscitation are associated with reduced multi-organ failure at 24 h in patients with sepsis. Intensive Care Med 2008; 34: 2210– 2217. 10.1007/s00134-008-1193-6
20. Peruski AM, Cooper ES. Assessment of microcirculatory changes by use of sidestream dark field microscopy during hemorrhagic shock in dogs. Am J Vet Res 2011;72:438–445.
21. Goodnight ME, Cooper ES, Butler AL. Assessment of microcirculatory perfusion in healthy anesthetized cats undergoing ovariohysterectomy using sidestream dark field microscopy: microcirculatory perfusion assessment in cats undergoing ovariohysterectomy. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2015;25:349–357.
- Search Google Scholar
- Export Citation
. , Goodnight ME , Cooper ES Butler AL Assessment of microcirculatory perfusion in healthy anesthetized cats undergoing ovariohysterectomy using sidestream dark field microscopy: microcirculatory perfusion assessment in cats undergoing ovariohysterectomy. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2015; 25: 349– 357. 10.1111/vec.12296
22. Silverstein DC, Cozzi EM, Hopkins AS, et al. Microcirculatory effects of intravenous fluid administration in anesthetized dogs undergoing elective ovariohysterectomy. Am J Vet Res 2014;75:809–817.
23. Hesselkilde EZ, Almind ME, Petersen J, et al. Cardiac arrhythmias and electrolyte disturbances in colic horses. Acta Vet Scand 2014;56:58.
24. McDonell WN. General anesthesia for equine gastrointestinal and obstetric procedures. Vet Clin North Am Large Anim Pract 1981;3:163–194.
25. Foth PW, Scott VH, Mudge MC, et al. Prevalence of intra-abdominal hypertension in horses with colic. J Vet Emerg Crit Care (San Antonio) 2020;30:647–652.
26. Jacquet-Lagrèze M, Allaouchiche B, Restagno D, et al. Gut and sublingual microvascular effect of esmolol during septic shock in a porcine model. Crit Care 2015;19:241.
27. Hopster K, Hopster-Iversen C, Geburek F, et al. Temporal and concentration effects of isoflurane anaesthesia on intestinal tissue oxygenation and perfusion in horses. Vet J 2015;205:62–68.
28. Cardinali M, Magnin M, Bonnet-Garin JM, et al. A new photoplethysmographic device for continuous assessment of urethral mucosa perfusion: evaluation in a porcine model. J Clin Monit Comput 2021;35:585–598.
29. Thooft A, Favory R, Salgado DR, et al. Effects of changes in arterial pressure on organ perfusion during septic shock. Crit Care 2011;15:R222.
30. Bidwell L. Multimodal pain management of the horse with acute abdomen. In: Robinson NE, Sprayberry KA, eds. Current therapy in equine medicine. 6th ed. St Louis: Saunders Elsevier, 2009;386–388.
31. Boerma EC, van der Voort PHJ, Spronk PE, et al. Relationship between sublingual and intestinal microcirculatory perfusion in patients with abdominal sepsis. Crit Care Med 2007;35:1055–1060.