Search Results

You are looking at 1 - 3 of 3 items for

  • Author or Editor: Susan Barrett x
  • Refine by Access: Content accessible to me x
Clear All Modify Search
in Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association


A new recombinant gp70 vaccine was found to be safe and effective for prevention of infection by FeLV. The vaccine incorporates a unique purified saponin adjuvant with the recombinant antigen. Serious systemic reactions were not observed during the efficacy trial. Local reactions were transient and mild. More than 2,000 doses were administered to a cross section of household cats in a field safety trial. Only 1 cat had hypersensitivity reaction, which resolved. Among veterinarians who used the vaccine and the cat owners, the vaccine was judged satisfactory and safe.

After rigorous intraperitoneal challenge exposure without use of immunosuppressants, 100% of the controls in the efficacy trial became infected, 70% of which remained persistently infected with FeLV. Among vaccinates, 45% were never viremic and 40% cleared transient infection within 12 weeks after challenge exposure. Of the 20 vaccinated cats, 3 were persistently infected. Overall, 85% of cats vaccinated with this recombinant dna FeLV vaccine resisted persistent FeLV infection after stringent challenge exposure, which translates to preventable fraction of 78.6%.

Free access
in Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association


Objective—To test the hypothesis that feedlot cattle with acute interstitial pneumonia (AIP) have bacterial infection of the lung or liver and concurrent bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV) infection significantly more often than pen mates without AIP.

Animals—39 feedlot cattle with signs consistent with AIP and no history of treatment with antimicrobials and 32 healthy control cattle from the same pens.

Procedure—Lung and liver specimens were obtained postmortem for bacterial or mycoplasmal culture and histologic examination; lung tissue was assessed for BRSV infection immunohistochemically.

Results—Among affected cattle, 26 had AIP confirmed histologically. Lung tissue from 11 cattle with AIP yielded microbial respiratory tract pathogens on culture; tissues from control animals yielded no microbial growth. In 4 cattle with AIP and 2 control animals, liver abscesses were detected; bacteria were isolated from abscessed tissue in 3 and 1 of those animals, respectively. Immunohistochemically, 9 cattle with AIP and no control animals were BRSV-positive. Histologically, 9 AIP-affected cattle had only acute alveolar damage with exudation, and the other 17 had acute exudation with type II pneumocyte hyperplasia. No lesions of AIP were detected in control animals. Only 4 AIP-affected cattle had bacterial infection of the lung with concurrent BRSV infection.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance—Results indicated that microbial respiratory tract pathogens are more common in cattle with AIP than in healthy pen mates. Control of bacterial pneumonia late in the feeding period may reduce the incidence of AIP at feedlots where AIP is a problem. (Am J Vet Res 2004;65:1525–1532)

Full access
in American Journal of Veterinary Research