AVMA Journals Style Sheet-References
References should be formatted as described in the most recent edition (currently, the 11th edition) of the American Medical Association Manual of Style. The following examples illustrate the style used for common types of references:
- Article in a journal
Article with > 6 authors:
1. Rassnick KM, Bailey DB, Kamstock DA, et al. Survival time for dogs with previously untreated, peripheral nodal, intermediate- or large-cell lymphoma treated with prednisone alone: the Canine Lymphoma Steroid Only trial. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2021;259(1):62–71. doi:10.2460/javma.259.1.62
Article with 6 or fewer authors:
2. Moore DA, McConnel CS, Busch R, Sischo WM. Dairy veterinarians' perceptions and experts' opinions regarding implementation of antimicrobial stewardship on dairy farms in the western United States. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2021;258(5):515–526. doi:10.2460/javma.258.5.515
Article in an online journal:
3. Torres de la Riva G, Hary BL, Farver TB, et al. Neutering dogs: effect on joint disorders and cancers in Golden Retrievers. PLoS One. 2013;8(2):e55937. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0055937
Article published online ahead of print:
4. Hart BL, Hart LA, Thigpen AP, Willits NH. Neutering of German Shepherd Dogs: associated joint disorders, cancers and urinary incontinence. Vet Med Sci. Published online May 16, 2016. doi:10.1002/vms.3.34.
- Book chapter
5. Muir P, Johnson KA, Manley PA. Fractures of the pelvis. In: Birchard SJ, Sherding RG, eds. Saunders Manual of Small Animal Practice. 2nd ed. WB Saunders Co; 2000:1126–1132.
6. Bentley RT, Cohen-Gadol A, Jones D, et al. Metronomic chlorambucil chemotherapy for canine gliomas: a phase I/II clinical trial. Abstract in: Proceedings of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Forum. American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine; 2015:903.
- Thesis or dissertation
7. Geary JE. The dynamics of the equine foreleg. Master's thesis. University of Delaware; 1975.
8. Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Last modified June 2, 2020. Accessed June 24, 2021. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/cattle-disease-information/cattle-bse/cattle-bse